Automatic conversion of aac to m4a

Christopher Woods (CustomMade) christopher at custommade.org.uk
Wed Mar 16 06:17:44 EDT 2011

> > I confirmed last night with a few aac files on a USB stick.
> > None of them will even list .aac files in their "music" browser.
> > Only mp3 file show up.
> > Ironic isn't it, because, as you say, the LG TV (50PK590)
> and the Humax HDR have an AAC decoder built in for DVB-S/T2.
> >
> > The LG TV has a good iPlayer app that plays all the iPlayer
> content direct, including HD video with aac audio & radio.
> > mp4 video files (from get_iplayer) play OK - haven't tried
> an audio only one.
> >
> > The Humax iPlayer app is a bit crippled (plays SD TV only),
> but I suspect that has aac audio too.
> > It does not play external video files without using an
> "AV2HDR" tool to convert them to it's own format.
> >
> > But, as I have said, I am not worried, because I can easily
> convert to mp3 - just pointing out that many devices will not
> play aac files.
>

> It might be an interesting experiment to try playing back an
> m4a audio file by renaming the suffix to mp4, but I
> completely agree about  lack of players for raw aac. It's not
> a very useful format for end users.

And on a related note, I saw this thread earlier:

http://forum.serviio.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=546&start=10

Where it appears all that (some) LG tellies support are .ts, .mpg, .mpg and
.mkv but the serviio app which was being discussed was transcoding to .ac3.
I wonder if there's a way to get the TV to be force-fed the file... I've
seen the LG iPlayer app on someone's edgelit LED flatscreen and was quite
impressed with how snappily it responded and its ability to stream HD over
ethernet (in his case, via powerline LAN too). I wasn't so impressed with
the Humax offering, which looked like it'd been dragged kicking and
screaming from a ZX81, graphics and all.