Automatic conversion of aac to m4a

Nick Ludlam nick at recoil.org
Mon Mar 14 12:55:36 EDT 2011

On 14 Mar 2011, at 16:33, Richard Hughes wrote:

>>> ... But I DID manage to successfully convert the AAC audio from the raw .flv file to MP3 using ffmpeg, e.g.
>>>
>>> ffmpeg -i downloaded_file.flv -vn -ab 64k output.mp3
>>
>> This is transcoding, not remuxing.
>>
>> Transcoding is lossy, remuxing is not.
>>
>> I would imagine that the vast majority of players should be able to play AAC these days, if it's formatted correctly.
>>
>> aB.
>>

> Yes, I know. But the same principle allows remuxing of the AAC audio from the .flv container direct to .m4a, without dependency on MP4Box or other tools.
>
> e.g.
>
> ffmpeg -i downloaded_file.flv -vn -acodec copy output.m4a

Incidentally, Shevek's comment on using "-absf aac_adtstoasc" with the very latest ffmpeg built from the git repository seems to bear up. I can successfully use AtomicParsley to apply metdata to the resulting m4a file, and import into iTunes, which is good news for minimising external dependencies, but bad news for anyone running 0.6.1 or older. I think it would make sense to support both routes for now, until there's another official ffmpeg release.