Problem with ffmpeg?

Christopher Woods (CustomMade) christopher at custommade.org.uk
Wed Mar 9 06:02:40 EST 2011

> I discovered that it was in fact one of the renderers in
> MPC-HC that was causing the green banding [1]. If you switch
> to another renderer or use VLC the files play fine.
>
> So I have been using r26400 (Jan 18 2011) which is the last
> windows autobuild (these stopped when the big split happened
> at ffmpeg [3])
>
> I've since ditched MPC-HC and now use VLC exclusively

FWIW I've been using MPC-HC on my Win7 netbook and I use the last build of
original MPC on my XP desktop. Both machines have NVIDIA GPUs in them; the
colourspace problem is still there in the drivers on my 9800GTX+ so it
somewhat forces me to use MPC on it. No complaint though, it works great.
MPC-HC however, once configured correctly for my netbook hardware, has run
pretty much perfectly and I didn't need to adjust the colourspace settings
in the drivers to force the correct range. The ION's CUDA support also makes
a massive difference given the machine's 1.6GHz CPU (I can do realtime 1080p
H.264 decoding at 30fps).

By contrast, I cannot get VLC to correctly render with hardware colour
conversion disabled (which causes the 0-255/16-235 problem) without getting
frequent screen tearing, even with vsync disabled. Have you come across any
fixes for this? smplayer also exhibits the same problem.