Unable to record

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 14:15:15 EDT 2011

On 30/07/2011 07:56, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> Hi,
> I am running through Tor as I am currently in France which is working
> ok through the website.
>
> Can anyone give me some pointers?

It looks like you are trying to use Tor as an http proxy, which it
isn't.  It's SOCKS-only, which is at a lower level than HTTP.
get_iplayer overrides the --partial-proxy option and forces use of the
proxy to retrieve certain information that is dependent on location of
the user, such as the CDN stream descriptors for the available modes.
In your example, when get_iplayer attempts to retrieve this information
from:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/4/mtis/stream/b00xlkhz?cb=77351

Tor returns an error and the retrieval fails, and thus get_iplayer gives
up because it can't find any media streams.

You say that you can access iPlayer content with your browser, so you
must have a working HTTP proxy available.  In that case, the quick
solution would be to take the HTTP proxy settings from your browser and
use them for get_iplayer.  It will probably just be a matter of changing
"9050" to the appropriate port number.

It's also possible to install an additional Perl module to use the Tor
SOCKS proxy for HTTP access, but I don't think that should be necessary
(or desirable) in your case.