Trouble downloading certain embeded video using --url

Nigel Taylor njtaylor at asterisk.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 31 12:06:30 EST 2011

On 01/31/11 07:52, marshall wrote:
> Hello all,
> First time mailing list poster. I've checked the last few months archive and
> couldn't find a solution to my problem so I hope you fine people can help. I'm
> having trouble grabbing the video from following url using get_iplayer.
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00dlsc7
> The url takes you to a Gideon Coe page on the 6music site.
>
> I have no problems in getting video from other urls like the local weather
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2738?area=PL26
> or the main gig from radio 2s in concert
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/in-concert/manic-street-preachers/
>
> I'm running get_iplayer on Arch linux with perl version 5.12.2
> Here's what I get.
> Any help would be grately appreciated.//////
>
> [marshall at DELL ~]$ get_iplayer --type=all
> --url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00dlsc7"
> get_iplayer v2.79, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
>   This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use --warranty.
>   This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under certain
>   conditions; use --conditions for details.
>
> INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00dlsc7 using type: livetv
> INFO Trying to stream pid using type livetv
> INFO: pid not found in livetv cache
> WARNING: No programmes are available for this pid
> INFO: Trying pid:  using type: localfiles
> INFO Trying to stream pid using type localfiles
> INFO: pid not found in localfiles cache
> ERROR: No PID for index  (try using --type option ?)
> INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00dlsc7 using type: tv
> INFO Trying to stream pid using type tv
> INFO: pid not found in tv cache
> WARNING: No programmes are available for this pid
> INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00dlsc7 using type: liveradio
> INFO Trying to stream pid using type liveradio
> INFO: pid not found in liveradio cache
> WARNING: No programmes are available for this pid
> INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00dlsc7 using type: radio
> INFO Trying to stream pid using type radio
> INFO: pid not found in radio cache
> WARNING: No programmes are available for this pid
> INFO: Trying pid:  using type: podcast
> INFO Trying to stream pid using type podcast
> INFO: pid not found in podcast cache
> ERROR: No PID for index  (try using --type option ?)
>
> Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.
>
> Marshall

Hi,

Try using this instead
get_iplayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlist/p00dlsc7

Works for me.

This is from the embed code on the page. (click on embed and then copy code).

<object width="512" height="400"><param name="movie"
value="http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/external/player.swf"></param><param
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess"
value="always"></param><param name="FlashVars"
value="config_settings_showUpdatedInFooter=true&config_settings_bitrateFloor=400&config_settings_showPopoutCta=false&config_settings_showPopoutButton=false&config_plugin_autoResumePlugin_recentlyPlayed=false&config_settings_suppressRelatedLinks=true&config_settings_skin=silver&config=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebbc%2Eco%2Euk%2Femp%2Fiplayer%2Fconfig%2Exml&playlist=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebbc%2Eco%2Euk%2Fiplayer%2Fplaylist%2Fp00dlsc7&config_settings_showFooter=true&"></param><embed
src="http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/external/player.swf"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true"
allowScriptAccess="always" width="512" height="400"
FlashVars="config_settings_showUpdatedInFooter=true&config_settings_bitrateFloor=400&config_settings_showPopoutCta=false&config_settings_showPopoutButton=false&config_plugin_autoResumePlugin_recentlyPlayed=false&config_settings_suppressRelatedLinks=true&config_settings_skin=silver&config=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebbc%2Eco%2Euk%2Femp%2Fiplayer%2Fconfig%2Exml&playlist=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebbc%2Eco%2Euk%2Fiplayer%2Fplaylist%2Fp00dlsc7&config_settings_showFooter=true&"></embed></object>

Using the playlist parameter.
playlist=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ebbc%2Eco%2Euk%2Fiplayer%2Fplaylist%2Fp00dlsc7

replacing %xx
%3A = : %2F = / %2E = .

gives http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/playlist/p00dlsc7

Regards