HD playback issue on PS3

spam.mc spam.mc at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 11:40:29 EST 2011

> I recently downloaded Lost Land of the Volcano - Episode 1 HD using
> get_iplayer, and this works fine on my PC, but the PS3 doesn't like
> it. The video plays too fast, and there's no audio.

Hi,  I have exactly the same problem and have been having for many
months.  For me it's much worse, it happens for every video file  that
get_iplayer downloads,  when playing them back on the PS3 via a media
streaming server the video plays at approx 2x and I get no sound or
static.   I have worked round this problem by using
http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/ which has an option to
transcode the file using MEncoder which it does on the fly as it streams
the video to the PS3, it then plays fine.    The disadvantage of this is
that it's slow to start playing and you can't fast forward or rewind the
video.

I tried upgrading my version of ffmpeg to see if that would fix it but
that didn't help.   The files play back perfectly on the PC so I don't
know what's wrong.

If anyone has any suggestions for things that I could try out to
determine what the problem is, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks,

Michael