re Subject: Solution for windows users

Shevek shevek at shevek.co.uk
Sat Jan 8 09:54:33 EST 2011

On 8 January 2011 14:08, spam.mc <spam.mc at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  Also running Ubuntu.
>
> Okay,  I happen to have a Ubuntu virtual machine installed on the same
> windows box that I'm having the download troubles with.  So I've just fired
> it up and installed the get_iplayer script and rtmpdump 2.3-2 from the
> Ubuntu Software Center
>
> Surprisingly (to me anyway) it's working fine,   it's downloaded 46% of my
> randomly selected Arena download  (why did I pick an hour long program to
> test with!).
>
> So it's obviously nothing to do with my IP address or internet connection as
> the working VM is using the same connection as the host PC which is failing.
>   So this points to it being a problem with the Windows version of rtmpdump
> 2.3?

I think I _may_ have cracked it!

I set up a brand new Ubuntu VM, updated the OS, installed get_iplayer,
rtmpdump and ffmpeg and tried the Arena episode

It gives the error!

ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet header
INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
WARNING: Failed to stream file
/home/shevek/Arena_-_The_Archers_b0074t7h_default.partial.flv via RTMP

My Windows host get_iplayer is still working fine.

The only thing I can think of that is different is that I have applied
the latest patches from the git repository to my Windows version.

So in the VM I downloaded the latest commit from git, ran that and it works!

So it looks to me that the problem is with older revisions of get_iplayer itself

For those who are having this issue try this:

DOwnload the latest snapshot from
http://git.infradead.org/get_iplayer.git/snapshot/f17e8cc9070edf7d7c19fa12cdf09cd743cf8fbf.tar.gz

Open the archive (depending on your archive app you may need to open a
further archive inside it) and extract the get_iplayer file.

Save this to your get_iplayer directory

Rename the existing get_iplayer.pl file to get_iplayer.old

Rename the file you just extracted to get_iplayer.pl

Try downloading again using RTMPDump.