[Re: Mp3 from Radio]

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Jan 4 08:53:16 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 13:23 +0000, FJuniper wrote:
> I am happy with the command line version, but similarly wonder whether
> it is still possible to get the mp3 format for radio programmes?

I don't really like adding "unrelated" features to get_iplayer.

There are plenty of tools out there which will convert files from one
format to another, transcode them to DVD-compatible MPEG format, let you
add your own subtitles, or do whatever else you can think of.

I believe that get_iplayer should do *one* thing, and do it well.

> (First post to the list, so I hope I have done this correctly!)

Well, it got through because at least it wasn't HTML nonsense, so you're
doing a lot better than a number of others :)

But since you ask... I'm not sure what you did, but there's no
'In-Reply-To:' header in your first reply, so it's not clear that it's a
reply to Zulu's message and threading isn't preserved. When you later
replied again to Jimmy's message, you did that normally and the
threading *was* preserved. It's worth knowing that whatever you did that
first time, it breaks threading.

So I see today's three messages all together in a thread in my inbox,
but the original message to which you replied is not associated with
this thread.

Also, it's good practice to quote only what you actually need to quote
to provide context for your reply (like the above bits where I've quoted
a sentence or two of yours, for example), and to put your reply below
the quoted text.

--
dwmw2