Can't seem to play via get_iplayer.cgi Web interface

Gunga Din II gunga2 at kylash.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 3 16:21:03 EST 2011

  Hi Ben,
> However, using the get_iplayer.cgi, while I can download items fine
> but the playing / streaming just doesn't work.
Ah, it's not just me! Sadly this is my experience too :(

I had a quick look at the code, but I'm not that comfortable with Perl,
and from what I read a year or so ago on the original docs, streaming
success was linked to getting the mime types handled correctly by your
browser and helper application...

I gave up and arranged a samba share pointing to the download location,
and play the mp4s remotely with VLC or Xine
while on my home network.

There's other "quirks" in get_iplayer.cgi, I seem to have "ghost files"
listed after I delete recordings, the history doesn't
get erased correctly, possibly to stop repeat downloads with the PVR?

I gave up with the Perl on that too and wrote a minamalist PHP script to
clean up the history for the ghosts.

get_iplayer.cgi isn't perfect, but it's still really usefull!

If anyone can shed some further light on the get_iplayer.cgi 'quirks' I
might start tinkering the streaming again ;)

Good luck!

Gunga