Get Iplayer for Windows

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Mon Aug 8 06:47:16 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-08-07 at 21:38 +0100, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> On 04/08/2011 20:21, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > I would love for someone to step forward and maintain the Windows stuff.
>
> I won't volunteer to take over permanently because - like David - I
> don't use Windows much and prefer to keep it that way.  However, I may
> be able to provide a bit of short-term help.  For a while now, I've been
> maintaining a get_iplayer installer for friends, family, and colleagues
> to make it easy for them to keep up with the various changes in the
> get_iplayer universe.  I'd be happy to pass on my modifications to
> whoever takes over the installer.  I think I've done the minimum
> necessary for a new release - more info below.

That sounds brilliant; thanks. Want to go ahead and commit them, and
we'll see if we can get a new installer together. If you let me have a
SSH public key, you can commit directly to the git repository on
git.infradead.org.

It'd be really good to use 'pp' to make the subset of perl files that we
need for get_iplayer; the hack with a 'perlfiles.tar.gz' is horrid. Did
you look at what it would take to automate that?

Also, it's possible to update the downloads without having to update the
installer; they're done through redirects from a CGI script. Perhaps we
should update the URLs that the CGI script redirects to?

Really, you want to track the version of each dependency that's
currently installed, then notice when a new version becomes available
and offer to install that. But then we're basically inventing a package
management system for a crappy platform that doesn't have it. This is
*so* far from what get_iplayer is actually supposed to be doing, and on
*such* a broken platform, that I always lose the will to live by the
time I start contemplating it...

--
dwmw2