Get Iplayer for Windows

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 16:38:40 EDT 2011

On 04/08/2011 20:21, David Woodhouse wrote:
> I would love for someone to step forward and maintain the Windows stuff.

I won't volunteer to take over permanently because - like David - I
don't use Windows much and prefer to keep it that way.  However, I may
be able to provide a bit of short-term help.  For a while now, I've been
maintaining a get_iplayer installer for friends, family, and colleagues
to make it easy for them to keep up with the various changes in the
get_iplayer universe.  I'd be happy to pass on my modifications to
whoever takes over the installer.  I think I've done the minimum
necessary for a new release - more info below.

As David hinted, the installer and related bits could probably use some
serious TLC, but that's a discussion for another thread.  If anyone is
interested enough to start that discussion, we can take up specifics
there.  Even with the current framework, I think the next installer
release should last for a while, assuming that the problems with
rtmpdump are sorted.  The helper apps shouldn't need to change that
often - rtmpdump is the only one to have caused truly major headaches
for Window users in recent months.  To my mind, the biggest issue that
has cropped up in recent months is giving Windows users access to the
latest version of the main get_iplayer script from the git repository,
but I think the get_iplayer update mechanism should deal with that, not
the installer.

Anyway, if you're thinking of taking on the installer, some notes on my
changes are below.  Feedback on potential problems with the helper apps
would be useful.  Any comments to the list, please.

Summary of changes:

1. HACK:  Installer carries a current version of get_iplayer.pl (with
faked version 2.80) and disables the initial download of get_iplayer.pl
from infradead.org. This would obviously be removed in production, but
is necessary until a 2.80 version is released at infradead.org.
2. Some minor cleanup to ensure clean uninstalls.  A couple of files
were omitted from the installer and left hanging around on uninstall.
Also removed the "Downloads" folder that was installed in C:\Program
Files\get_iplayer.  AFAICT, that folder is never used - someone correct
me if I'm wrong.
3. Updates to the download sources/versions for helper apps, with minor
changes to better isolate package/version differences.  Notes on helper
apps below.
4. Updated the included Perl libraries with MP3::Tag and dependencies to
support full MP3 tagging on Windows without id3v2.
5. Installer build script translated into a Windows batch file.  The
installer can be built without need of unix-ish shell or utilities -
just NSIS and 7-Zip.

Notes on helper apps:

atomicparsley: Updated to 0.9.4 from bitbucket.org.  The old version
0.9.0 still works, but it's no longer possible to download it from
Sourceforge in the installer.  Sourceforge uses meta refresh on download
pages, so some more drastic changes in the installer would be necessary
to cope.  It doesn't seem worth the trouble as long as another source is
available.

ffmpeg: Updated to 0.8 from zeranoe.com.  Same source as earlier
version, but different site name.  Videolan recently released 0.8.1, but
I haven't yet seen an updated build with that version stamp.  Version
0.8 should include all get_iplayer-relevant fixes.

lame: Updated to 3.98.4 from rarewares.org.  As far as I can tell the
old 3.98.2 version from bakerweb.biz never worked (wouldn't launch), at
least on XP.

mplayer: Remains at version 1.0-rc2.  I know they marked 1.0-rc4 earlier
in the year, but I didn't see a new Windows build.

rtmpdump: Updated to nominal 2.4
(rtmpdump-20110723-git-b627335-win32.zip mentioned elsewhere on the
list).  Like others here, I've seen better results with resuming
downloads using this build.  Is this the build to fix on?  Others need
to chime in here.  As David mentioned elsewhere, at least one possible
relevant change to rtmpdump post-dates this build.

vlc: Updated to 1.1.11.