Sony Bravia iPlayer stream

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Tue Apr 26 04:13:35 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 09:05:16AM +0100, tim lane wrote:

>Would some kind of packet sniffer be the right tool for the job? Again
>- I know OF this type of tool but have never used one so a bit of
>guidance may be necessary. Or perhaps it's not worth pursuing if
>get_iplayer is unlikely to be able to grab these streams.

I believe tcpdump is available for Windows:
http://www.winpcap.org/windump/

If you were using tcpdump under Unix, you'd do something like:

tcpdump -ni eth0 -s0 -wdumpfile

which will, until you stop it, capture all network traffic into
"dumpfile". (You can select the specific things you want to capture, but
in this case we don't know what those things are - so you might as well
just shut down all other activity and capture everything.)

Windows may call the interface something other than "eth0". Check the
documentation; I don't touch Windows.

This will leave you with a huge file, which you probably don't want to
give to anyone else - because it will contain any identifying
information you sent or received. So the next thing to do is analyse it.
I tend to use wireshark, which is also available under Windows:
http://www.wireshark.org/

What you'll initially be looking for is the HTTP setup stream near the
beginning of the log, where the TV is requesting media from the BBC.

(Or if you're _really sure_ you weren't sending or receiving anything
private while the dump was going on, you could post the file for other
people here to look at. But I recommend caution.)

Roger