Can watch iPLayer but not use get_iplayer?

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 18:17:01 EDT 2011

On 16/04/2011 21:33, Vangelis forthnet wrote:
> At the time of writing, everything is consistent with what I have posted
> in detail in my previous e-mail
> [snip]
> When I click this link
> "http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/10player.swf?revision=18269_21576",
> my default browser (Firefox) redirects me automatically to this URL
> "http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/revisions/18269_21576_10player.swf?revision=18269_21576",
>
> no matter if I have a UK IP or not. What do you get?

Thanks for drilling into this some more.  I'm getting the redirect
again, with the same results you're seeing:  radio and non-HD TV
downloads run OK regardless of the "RTMP_HashSWF" error, but HD TV
downloads fail with a "Client.SWFVerificiation(sic).Rejected" error from
the server.  So, it was only a temporary reprieve.  Patching get_iplayer
with the alternate .swf URL makes everything work OK.

I don't know what the right answer to this would be, if any.  It could
still be an temporary situation (perhaps not coincidentally occurring
over a weeked?).  We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.  It only
affects HD TV downloads, and an easy fix is out there for anyone who
really needs it in the near term.  Anyone who wants to download a copy
of the script with just the swfvfy URL changed can temporarily find one
here:

https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/blob/swfvfy/get_iplayer

You can then just switch back and forth between versions of get_iplayer
if you want HD TV and the downloads aren't working.

> Being quite inexperienced with this, I scrolled through "long help" and
> previous list postings,
> I tried adding at the end of my commands something like this (remember,
> I'm on Windows):
> -v > "D:\Vangelis\iPlayer Recordings\Log.txt"
>
> The text file is generated OK, but when opened it doesn't show exactly
> what was on the command window, notably
> the RTMP downloading part is skipped, so are the ffmpeg conversions...So
> I'm gonna need some more help with this...)

Add  2>&1 to the very end of your command line.  This copies the stderr
stream to stdout so everything goes in the log file.