Can watch iPLayer but not use get_iplayer?

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sat Apr 16 01:19:05 EDT 2011

On Sat Apr 16 00:13:41 BST, bat guano (batguano999 at hotmail.com) wrote:

>Hi
>That TV programme has downloaded OK for me without using the patch.
>No error messages.
>Maybe it's because RTMPDump v2.3 is installed (not v2.2).

 Hi, bat...
 I'm using get_iplayer from Greece, I'm on Windows Vista SP2 x86 and, like
you, have RTMPdump v2.3-win32 installed.
Using latest patched script from "http://git.infradead.org/get_iplayer.git"
(git-5b2817c).
 I'm mostly downloading audio content, these "RTMP_HashSWF" errors first
appeared on Wednesday Apr 13th, when I tried to download pid=b00zzq4b.
But, as dinky mentioned earlier in the thread, the connection was made and
file downloaded OK, so I was not too alarmed...
Up until now, when I try (and eventually succeed) to obtain radio content,
this is what I get using RTMPdump v2.3:

RTMPDump v2.3
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
ERROR: RTMP_HashSWF: couldn't contact swfurl
http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/10player.swf?revision=18269_21576 (HTTP error 301)
WARNING: Ignoring SWF size, supply also the hash with --swfhash
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...

(download completes)

 As far as HD TV content is concerned, first two facts:
1. flashhd1 mode uses the same kind of rtmp servers that are used in Live TV
streaming, i.e. they implement IP blocking at server level;
I can access this mode only through a UK VPN.
2. flashhd2 mode behaves normally as the rest of the other flash TV modes
(with regards to overseas access) and can be downloaded with either
a web or http UK proxy (using -p & --partial-proxy options).

 As a test, I tried to download said HD programme (pid=b0074r5v), these are
the errors that I get:

flashhd1 (through UK VPN; UK web proxy doesn't work!)

RTMPDump v2.3
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
ERROR: RTMP_HashSWF: couldn't contact swfurl
http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/10player.swf?revision=18269_21576
(HTTP error 301)
WARNING: Ignoring SWF size, supply also the hash with --swfhash
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
ERROR: HandleCtrl: Ignoring SWFVerification request, use --swfVfy!
Starting download at: 0.000 kB
47079.546 kB / 138.52 sec (4.7%)
ERROR: WriteN, RTMP send error 10053 (42 bytes)
ERROR: RTMP_ReadPacket, failed to read RTMP packet body. len: 77122
47122.642 kB / 138.52 sec (4.7%)
Download may be incomplete (downloaded about 4.70%), try resuming
INFO: Command exit code 2 (raw code = 512)

WARNING: Retry recording for 'Civilisation - 10. The Smile of Reason
(b0074r5v)'

RTMPDump v2.3
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
ERROR: RTMP_HashSWF: couldn't contact swfurl
http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/10player.swf?revision=18269_21576
(HTTP error 301)
WARNING: Ignoring SWF size, supply also the hash with --swfhash
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
ERROR: HandleCtrl: Ignoring SWFVerification request, use --swfVfy!
Resuming download at: 45155.886 kB / 132.600 sec (4.5%)
(Later fails...)

flashhd2 (UK web proxy/UK VPN)

RTMPDump v2.3
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
ERROR: RTMP_HashSWF: couldn't contact swfurl
http://www.bbc.co.uk/emp/10player.swf?revision=18269_21576
(HTTP error 301)
WARNING: Ignoring SWF size, supply also the hash with --swfhash
Connecting ...
WARNING: HandShake: client signature does not match!
INFO: Connected...
ERROR: HandleCtrl: Ignoring SWFVerification request, use --swfVfy!
ERROR: rtmp server sent error
ERROR: rtmp server requested close
INFO: Command exit code 1 (raw code = 256)
WARNING: Failed to stream file D:\Vangelis\iPlayer
Recordings/Civilisation_10.TheSmileOfReason_201104132200_flvhd.partial.flv
via RTMP
INFO: skipping flashhd2 mode
ERROR: Failed to record 'Civilisation - 10. The Smile of Reason (b0074r5v)'

 So, flashhd1 yielded only a ~ 60MB sized partial.flv, flashhd2 failed
altogether...In my case, RTMPDump v2.3 didn't fetch the HD file...
All other flash TV modes display the same error as per the audio files, but
do eventually get downloaded OK...
 After applying dinky's fix, flashhd2 (through UK web proxy) mode downloads
fine...

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: flashhd2 modes will be tried for version default
INFO: Trying flashhd2 mode to record tv: Civilisation - 10. The Smile of
Reason
INFO: File name prefix = Civilisation_10.TheSmileOfReason_201104132200_flvhd

RTMPDump v2.3
(c) 2010 Andrej Stepanchuk, Howard Chu, The Flvstreamer Team; license: GPL
Connecting ...
INFO: Connected...
Starting download at: 0.000 kB
INFO: Metadata:
INFO:   duration              2943.28
INFO:   moovPosition          32.00
INFO:   width                 1280.00
INFO:   height                720.00
INFO:   videocodecid          avc1
INFO:   audiocodecid          mp4a
INFO:   avcprofile            100.00
INFO:   avclevel              41.00
INFO:   aacaot                2.00
INFO:   videoframerate        25.00
INFO:   audiosamplerate       24000.00
INFO:   audiochannels         2.00
INFO: trackinfo:
INFO:   length                73579000.00
INFO:   timescale             25000.00
INFO:   language              eng
INFO: sampledescription:
INFO:   sampletype            avc1
INFO:   length                70638592.00
INFO:   timescale             24000.00
INFO:   language              eng
INFO: sampledescription:
INFO:   sampletype            mp4a
49197.267 kB / 144.96 sec (4.9%)

(I then killed the download...)

 I propose this latest patch makes it to the infradead git repo! (Once
again, CHEERS dinkypumpkin!)