Confused

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Sat Apr 9 15:49:22 EDT 2011

On 9 April 2011 18:29, Steve <startrek.steve at gmail.com> wrote:
> I dont,know,about everyone else, but Im getting confused about all these
> different patches. Can we have some kind of version numbering system so we
> know what we're running and what we need to address certain problems? Cos my
> patched Dinky version still says 2.79.

Yes, it can get confusing.   The 2.79 version number is used by the
updating mechanism in get_iplayer itself, and it's only useful to
change it if the patches have been applied to the main repository.
(otherwise it would get *really* messy.)  It increases roughly when
there's a *stable* update available.

The patches dinkypumpkin has been doing will almost certainly be
considered stable at some point, but you may have noticed that there
have been lots of versions of several patches by several people, many
of which worked, but one or two didn't.  So it's not useful to roll
out an update immediately that a patch is written, it's worth letting
some intrepid users test it first.

Part of the problem arises from the fact that this is both a user and
a developer mailing list.  On some projects these are separate mailing
lists, and developers can throw around patches and fixes for patches
on a developer list, and offer user-centred advice on a user list.
That's not how things work here (there are pros and cons either way),
so it can appear messy and confusing sometimes.

You've got two options:
- take a risk and have a go at installing one of dinkypumpkin's
patches - it's actually pretty straightforward, or
- hang on in there until the main repository and the version number is updated.

If there are specific fixes you want/need, and aren't sure what to
get, then let me know and I'll point you at what you need.

Cheers
Jon