legality

Christopher Woods (CustomMade) christopher at custommade.org.uk
Tue Apr 5 07:19:45 EDT 2011

This was initially thought to be the case but Article 49 of the Treaty of
Rome (as amended) which enshrines free provision of intra-EU state services,
including telly. BBCRefuseniks[1] has this to say:

"So, even if the Parliament has every right to ban watching the BBC without
a licence, they must not stop you watching Romanian or Dutch television.

The beauty of it is that there were a number of cases in European Court of
Justice where the ECJ interpreted the Treaty provisions about this and other
EU "freedoms". Being a political court, the ECJ nearly always decides in
favour of the EU. So, the interpretation now is rather wide. Arguably, the
notorious Dassonville formula applies to services as well as goods - so, any
measure 'directly or indirectly, actually or potentially hindering' the
provision of services between member-states is prohibited under Article 49."

And remember Karen Murphy's fight against BSkyB recently? See [2] for the
illuminating weblaw.co.uk article, which discusses at length the various EU
and national laws and goes into a fair amount of depth.

[1] http://www.bbcrefuseniks.co.uk/page11.html
[2] http://www.weblaw.co.uk/news/the-big-match-%E2%80%93-eu-law-v-ipr/