How to Apply the Patch to Add BBC Radio 4 Extra?

Jeremy Bartle jeremy.bartle at
Sat Apr 2 01:09:33 EDT 2011

OK, I've answered my own questions.  For anyone interested, here is
what I did.  I shan't be offended if any experts want to post a better
way!  I am running Windows 7 and I use get_iplayer solely via the Web
PVR and solely for radio.

I downloaded an editor called Notepad++ from   It's free, with an option to donate.

I made a backup copy of C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer\

I opened the link to the patch from Jon Davies (thank you, Jon):

Using Notepad++, I opened C:\Program Files (x86)\get_iplayer\

I used Ctrl+G to go to the first line number in the patch, 7109.  I
then added the Radio 4 Extra Line as in the patch (not including the +
at the start of the line, I think this is just to show that this is
the line to be added).

Repeated for lines 7179 and 7588.

Saved and closed the file.

In the Web PVR, in the Advanced Search tab, in the Channels Containing
field, I added ",Radio 4 Extra" (without the quotes) to my list, being
careful not to put a space before or after the comma and clicked on
the Save as Default button.

It's working so far...