Installing Web PVR on Fedora 13

Colin Parker colin.parker at bibliotheca-rfid.com
Mon Oct 25 06:04:21 EDT 2010

Hi Andy
I was logged in as root.

The instructions were in get_iplayer.cgi.txt which is included in the
download from
 ftp://ftp.infradead.org/pub/get_iplayer/

and the extract I followed is below. Is there anything in there that's wrong?

Installation as Apache CGI script
---------------------------------
* Run the below commands as 'root'
* Create dirs in /var/www/get_iplayer/ :
       mkdir -p /var/www/get_iplayer/output /var/www/get_iplayer/.get_iplayer
* Allow apache user to write to these dirs:
       chown apache.apache /var/www/get_iplayer/output
/var/www/get_iplayer/.get_iplayer
* Copy get_iplayer.cgi and get_iplayer into /var/www/get_iplayer/
       cp -p get_iplayer.cgi get_iplayer /var/www/get_iplayer/
* Ensure they are executable:
       chmod 755 /var/www/get_iplayer/get_iplayer.cgi
/var/www/get_iplayer/get_iplayer
* Ensure you have the following lines in Apache's httpd.conf:
 ScriptAlias /iplayer "/var/www/get_iplayer/get_iplayer.cgi"
 SetEnv HOME /var/www/get_iplayer/
* This will run as apache's user/group and save all settings files in
/var/www/get_iplayer/.get_iplayer
* Ensure that ffmpeg is in the default system PATH that apache exports
such as /usr/bin/
* Ensure that flvstreamer (and other binaries) are in the default
system PATH that apache exports such as /usr/bin/
* or, specify their locations in /var/www/get_iplayer/.get_iplayer/options,
* and specify a default output directory in
/var/www/get_iplayer/.get_iplayer/options, e.g.:
output /var/www/get_iplayer/output
ffmpeg /usr/bin/ffmpeg
flvstreamer /path/to/flvstreamer
* make sure that apache user can see and execute the binaries
* Access using http://<your web server>/iplayer
* Recordings will be in /var/www/get_iplayer/output/