Installing Web PVR on Fedora 13

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Sun Oct 24 18:09:55 EDT 2010

On 24 Oct 2010, at 20:50, Colin Parker wrote:

> I've upgraded from Fedora 11 to 13 specifically to be able to install
> get_iplayer using rpmfusion. (Did I need to upgrade?)  This is now
> installed and runs from the console. I followed the instructions to
> install the Web PVR and use Apache but when I navigate to the web page
> I get:
>
> WARNING: Running the updater again to obtain plugins. ERROR:
> /usr/bin/get_iplayer is not writable - aborting update (maybe a
> package manager was used to install get_iplayer?)

This is annoying, isn't it?

When it works from the command-line what user are you logged in as?

As part of troubleshooting a different problem this week I blew away
my ~/.get_iplayer directory (moved it to ~/.get_iplayer.old) and got
the same thing using get_iplayer from the command line. get_iplayer
worked fine when run as root, using sudo, but then created a /
root/.get_iplayer directory and puts its cache in there. When run by a
regular user get_iplayer gave the same problem again.

I solved this with `mv ~root/.get_iplayer ~ && chown -R andy
~andy/.get_iplayer` - after that, get_iplayer started working again
just fine for my user.

I would look at the user under which get_iplayer is being called when
you browse the webpage. I would guess that it's apache?

I have no experience of Web PVR, so I have refrained from making
random but more-specific suggestions.

You mention following instructions: which ones? Do you have a link to
them?

aB.