downloading video clips from the bbc news website

Alexander Smith alex at wonkyalienrace.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 14:24:02 EDT 2010

On 22 October 2010 15:25, Andy Bircumshaw <andy at networkned.co.uk> wrote:

> On 22 Oct 2010, at 14:23, Alexander Smith wrote:
>
>  Using that URL, get_iplayer downloads the top video on the page without
>> issue.
>>

> It doesn't here.    :(
>

>  According to the metadata, the following modes are available:
>> flashhigh1=7MB,flashlow1=3MB,rtsphigh1=7MB,rtsplow1=3MB
>>

> How do you find that, please?

That's from the metadata file which get_iplayer generates. I've attached it
for this video.

> Here I have the same problem when trying to get --info:
>
> $ get_iplayer -i --url http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501
>
> get_iplayer v2.78, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
>  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details use
> --warranty.
>  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
> certain
>  conditions; use --conditions for details.
>
> INFO: Trying pid: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501 using type: tv
> INFO Trying to stream pid using type tv
> INFO: pid not found in tv cache
> INFO: Checking existence of default version
> INFO: No specified modes (flashhd,flashvhigh,flashhigh) available for this
> programme with version 'default' (try using --modes=)
> ERROR: Failed to record ' -  (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518501)'
> $
>
> It seems to be treating the URL as a PID. I installed the XML::Simple perl
> module the other day, but I'm still somewhat suspicious this is some kind of
> dependency thing, or a perl versioning bug.
>
> I'm particularly suspicious of the URL
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/http://playlists.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11518390A/playlist.sxml.rdfin the verbose output (see attached).
>
> Could I possibly ask what version of Perl you have installed, please?
> Here `perl --version` shows v5.8.8. I'm running on Linux, although I can
> see you're obviously on Windows.

I've got Perl 5.10.0 without the XML::Simple module.

Have you made sure to try the obvious? Flush the cache (get_iplayer -f) and
specify the URL option explicitly  For some reason get_iplayer is not
finding the PID in your cache.
FWIW I'm using a patched version of get_iplayer with the patch that was
posted to this list a couple of days ago, although I don't think that should
make a difference.