Apple TV

Christian Hewitt get_iplayer at chrishewitt.net
Tue Nov 2 00:46:09 EDT 2010

> I would be rather curious to know whether chewitt actually got any recordings playing on his Apple TV before he started messing with the web front end:
> http://linuxcentre.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=162

That was me. I did a restore on the ATV to get a clean box (a little too much experimentation with perl had been done before) and I used XAMPP to get a version of perl that get_iplayer would work with, and a large amount of symlinking in the OS to make get_iplayer see things where it expected them. It did work, but it was complicated and never what I could put hand on heart to call reliable. Shortly after this aunty fiddled with stream formats and Phil stopped supporting get_iplayer so I had other things to figure out and I never did write up the FAQ.

> Maybe he just selected a lower quality recording when downloading with get_iplayer.
> Have you tried that? Do any of them work?

I rarely download flashhd content unless it's a series I'd want to keep long-term. I mostly download flashvhigh which I find to be a more acceptable balance of size (meaning shorter download times) and quality for something that I watch and then delete, and the ATV can cope with flashvhigh perfectly under XBMC without needing any transcoding.

Christian