Apple TV

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 15:45:01 EDT 2010

On 1/11/2010, at 3:34pm, Ian macdonald wrote:
> I know that get iplayer now saves mp4 in a format that is not
> compatible with the apple tv (older type with hard drive) I normally
> just run it through videora and that solves the problem.  However I
> was wondering how big a job it would be for me to alter get_iplayer to
> save the mp4 in the correct format? can anyone point me in the right
> direction?

In the comments on one of the pages of Phil's site, Andy talks about the specifications some:
  http://linuxcentre.net/bbc-iplayer-hd-1280x720-now-supported-by-get_iplayer
  (ctrl-f "apple")

Also see: http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mencoder-users/2010-June/011855.html

My first reaction was to think of the IDC level tag in the MP4 container. It's pretty easy to set IDC level in mp4 output using mplayer, but I don't know how mplayer handles remuxing; maybe ffmpeg? Otherwise mp4box & the like. If it is as simple as this and you're upto the job of altering get_iplayer (here be dragons) then you should have no problems.

The second link indicates debate (see jimht's quoted comments) about h-frames. I would advise checking one of your downloaded get_iplayer recordings (on that doesn't play on the Apple TV) for these. I have no idea how to do this, but it must be well-documented and shouldn't be too hard.

I would be rather curious to know whether chewitt actually got any recordings playing on his Apple TV before he started messing with the web front end:
http://linuxcentre.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=162

Maybe he just selected a lower quality recording when downloading with get_iplayer.
Have you tried that? Do any of them work?

Alternative option is to transcode the get_iplayer recording after download to a different format, probably using "--command". See my previous comments at:
http://linuxcentre.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90

I would need an Apple TV to pique an interest in this. Generally I agree with Christian that a different player is preferred. FWIW: I bought a PlayOn! HD Mini the other week - the interface is a bit primitive, but it has no problem with get_iplayer's recordings, and will also play many other formats. You'll get this for £76 from Scan if you check their "Today Only" page on a daily basis, and free shipping if you register in the forums at avforums.com. I can't count the hours I've sunk into transcoding DVDs into MP4 format with the goal of playing them on my PS3 - now I'm cursing myself for wasting that effort, as full-quality ripping to folder of .VOBs or .iso image for the PlayOn is trivial.

aB.