FW: Instructions for creating Windows Installer EXE for get_iplayer

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Jun 26 11:24:29 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 22:17 +0100, Andy Alford wrote:
> I would like to post these instructions somewhere to help other idiot
> Windows users (like me) to benefit from your (and Phil’s) great work.

There's something strangely broken about your mail program. It's
claiming that the message is in the legacy ISO8859-1 character set, but
then it's using the byte 0x92 where I presume you'd typed an apostrophe?
But character 0x92 isn't valid in ISO8859-1. Whatever software you're
using, it's broken.

> However I fear that I may be upsetting someone, so I wanted to ask first.
> As you have already gathered (like many Windows users) I am not very
> familiar with the internet decorum.
>
> Is this ok?  Should I post it on linuxcentre.net?

The whole point of making the Windows installer and making it available
for download from
http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer_win/get_iplayer_setup_latest.exe
was that the 'idiot Windows users' wouldn't _have_ to do this, surely?

They just need to run the installer.

And if someone _is_ going to rebuild the installer for some reason,
they're probably better off just doing it on a real computer rather than
trying to do something useful on Windows.

Just to be clear -- I certainly have no _objection_ to you posting such
instructions; I'm just a little confused about why.

There's a 'make-nsis.sh' shell script in the git directory, which will
do it all for you if you're on a real computer.

> ----http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer_win/get_iplayer_setup_latest.exe
>
> Instructions for get_iplayer download and installation
>
> Goto http://git.infradead.org/get_iplayer.git click *tree*, double-click
> *windows*, Click *snapshot* to download the latest source directory.
> Decompress the resulting .tzr.gz file to a working directory on your PC.
> Move the file get_iplayer_setup.nsi up one level (i.e. to the same directory
> as the *get_iplayer* directory)

Wouldn't it be better to install git and check it out properly?

> Goto http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Download and download NSIS installer
>
> Goto http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Category:Plugins and download 3 plugins –
> inetc, zipdll, nsis7z.
>  (one of them downloads to filename attachment.php and must be renamed to
> .ZIP )
>
> Move downloaded .nsh files to Program Files\NSIS\Include
> Mode downloaded .dll files to Prog files\NSIS\Plugins
>
> Now you can run the NSIS utility to compile the .NSI file to your own EXE
> installer. When you run the installer it will download Mplayer, Flvstreamer,
> Lame, etc from the web during the installation.
>
> Goto http://strawberryperl.com/ and download Strawberry Perl 5.10.1.2 if you
> don’t already have Perl.

There's a missing step here -- the installer should actually _contain_
the perl bits and you shouldn't have to download it separately.

--
dwmw2