FW: Instructions for creating Windows Installer EXE for get_iplayer

Andy Alford mail at andyalford.com
Sat Jun 26 17:17:28 EDT 2010

I would like to post these instructions somewhere to help other idiot
Windows users (like me) to benefit from your (and Phil’s) great work.
However I fear that I may be upsetting someone, so I wanted to ask first.
As you have already gathered (like many Windows users) I am not very
familiar with the internet decorum.

Is this ok?  Should I post it on linuxcentre.net?

----

Instructions for get_iplayer download and installation

Goto http://git.infradead.org/get_iplayer.git click *tree*, double-click
*windows*, Click *snapshot* to download the latest source directory.
Decompress the resulting .tzr.gz file to a working directory on your PC.
Move the file get_iplayer_setup.nsi up one level (i.e. to the same directory
as the *get_iplayer* directory)

Goto http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Download and download NSIS installer

Goto http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Category:Plugins and download 3 plugins –
inetc, zipdll, nsis7z.
 (one of them downloads to filename attachment.php and must be renamed to
.ZIP )

Move downloaded .nsh files to Program Files\NSIS\Include
Mode downloaded .dll files to Prog files\NSIS\Plugins

Now you can run the NSIS utility to compile the .NSI file to your own EXE
installer. When you run the installer it will download Mplayer, Flvstreamer,
Lame, etc from the web during the installation.

Goto http://strawberryperl.com/ and download Strawberry Perl 5.10.1.2 if you
don’t already have Perl.

Allow 2-3 hours.

FYI - if you are outside the UK, the proxy
http://www.docoja.com/blue/browse.php?u= doesn’t seem to work.  You will
need to find some other UK-based open proxy server, eg.
http://91.103.185.182:80

Enjoy!  Andy