Does get_iplayer still support subtitles?

Andy Bircumshaw andy at networkned.co.uk
Wed Dec 22 14:34:51 EST 2010

On 21/12/2010, at 3:32pm, Richard Mace wrote:

> If so, I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong. The program I am streaming
> has subtitles1 (from --info)
> I am using the --subtitles override, using mplayer. Cursor over mplayer
> output,'v' toggles visibility on and off but no subtitles.

Need more info.

What is the PID of the show?

What does get_iplayer say when you run `get_iplayer -g --pid b00fvcq0 --subtitles`?

Why didn't you attach the output from get_iplayer?

Consider using the "--debug" flag, but do not post its output indiscriminately.

$ get_iplayer --longhelp | grep -ie subtitles
 --info, -i                       Show full programme metadata and availability of modes and subtitles (max 50 matches)
 --subsraw                        Additionally save the raw subtitles file
 --subtitles                      Download subtitles into srt/SubRip format if available and supported
 --subtitles-only                 Only download the subtitles, not the programme
$

So do you have .srt files in your download directory?

Have you tried using "--subsraw" option? What happens?

Have you tried using "--subtitles-only" option? What happens?

I'm not saying this is the case, but it could be that your version of mplayer is compiled without subtitle support, or it can't find the font. mplayer's console output is as verbose as get_iplayer's.

aB.