Flash AAC downloads containerless

Alexander Melhuish alex.melhuish6388 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 15:09:46 EDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I’ve used get_iplayer intermittently for a year or so now, but this hasn’t been an issue before.

When I’ve been downloading Proms recordings from Radio 3 lately, using ‘—modes flashaac’, get_iplayer downloads the raw aac stream without putting it in an MPEG container. At the moment, I’m using Subler to put these streams into a container (it’s a GUI MPEG-4 muxer for the Mac, originally designed for muxing subtitles into movies), but it’s a right pain!

I tried to do this with ffmpeg from the command line, but it produced unplayable files (not sure why though!).

I’m using rtmpdump (rather than flvstreamer) and I’ve noticed that get_iplayer downloads to .flv files first, then demuxes them to raw aac afterwards.

Any idea why get_iplayer isn’t producing mpeg4 files in the first place? Could it be modified so that it does so by default?

Regards,

Alexander Melhuish

alex at awm.me.uk
http://www.awm.me.uk/

PS: Please CC me in reply, as I’m not subscribed to this list (I only have one issue to raise and don’t want my inbox flooded by mailing lists; I have enough of that already!). I checked the netiquette rules, and there’s nothing to forbid this (though I realise it may be unorthadox).