f7 yaboot problem on G3

Mike Hammill mike at kth.se
Thu Jul 19 14:36:27 EDT 2007

Thanks to recent advice from Paul...

 > OK looks like an ofpath bug - can you see if 1.3.14-rc2 at
 >
 > http://yaboot.ozlabs.org/

  ... I have tried again to get an f7 installation to boot on my B&W G3.
  Using the 1.3.14-rc2 version of yaboot suggested I have gotten further
in that I don't get error messages any longer, but when I boot, I still
get the "blinking folder", instead of the yaboot lead into my f7
installation.

The steps I have tried so far are:

1. boot rescue CD
2. choose to mount my disk's f7 installation as /mnt/sysimage
(if you haven't been following this thread, this is a completely new
installation.  No errors occurred on installation.)
3. cd /mnt/sysimage/tmp
4. download 1.3.14-rc2 of yaboot as suggested by Paul and unpack here in tmp
5. PATH_PREFIX=/mnt/sysimage/tmp/ybin
/mnt/sysimage/tmp/ybin/yabootconfig --chroot /mnt/sysimage -b /dev/sda2

Thas is a slightly simplied version of what I had to do to avoid various
error messages like getting the wrong version of cut, not finding
nvsetenv, and trying to run /usr/sbin/mkofboot instead of
/mnt/sysimage/tmp/ybin/mkofboot.  This was all pretty easy to change by
modifying the scripts yabootconfig and mkofboot.  Everything seems to
proceed correctly without error messages.  However, on reboot, I'm still
stuck at the blinking folder.  Is there something more needed?  What
else can I check on?

Thanks for the help!
/Mike