Live image ppc and ppc64 support

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Aug 17 00:48:51 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 11:15 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > > The biggest is probably that the ppc and ppc64 kernels currently
> > > conflict.  The actual vmlinuz files as well as the modules end up under
> > > the same paths.  Without that fixed, it's a bit of a non-starter.  Maybe
> > > it finally makes sense to make the paths depend on uname -m in addition
> > > to uname -r?  Other ideas?
> >
> > That was certainly one of the potential solutions I'd thought of. Others
> > were more hackish,
>
> Hackish, indeed...  I think that encoding the arch might be the cleanest
> thing.  And it allows some other things down the road too

Yeah. I have a feeling there were problems with putting the arch (or
even a letter signifying it) unto $(uname -r). Can't actually remember
them right now, so maybe I'm imagining it.

It would also help to stop people compiling kernel modules against the
wrong-arch kernel-devel package (i586 vs. i686) too, right?

--
dwmw2