Live image ppc and ppc64 support

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Aug 16 11:15:02 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 11:43 +0800, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 15:59 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > Of course, now the fun part is that it would be nice to be able to
> > support both ppc and ppc64 with the images.  There are a few barriers to
> > that as it currently stands.
>
> Indeed. I was planning to get to that after we'd got the groundwork
> merged.

After I wrote this, I _think_ I got most of the livecd pieces in place
ppc64 kernels.  Didn't get a chance to test the created disc before I
had to leave the office, though, and I'm wfh today.  Will be in tomorrow
to try it out.

> > The biggest is probably that the ppc and ppc64 kernels currently
> > conflict.  The actual vmlinuz files as well as the modules end up under
> > the same paths.  Without that fixed, it's a bit of a non-starter.  Maybe
> > it finally makes sense to make the paths depend on uname -m in addition
> > to uname -r?  Other ideas?
>
> That was certainly one of the potential solutions I'd thought of. Others
> were more hackish,

Hackish, indeed...  I think that encoding the arch might be the cleanest
thing.  And it allows some other things down the road too

> It would be nice if whatever solution we settle on ends up with only the
> 'proper' kernel installed, not both. Not mandatory though, I suppose --
> as long as yum isn't going to keep updating both, and letting the user
> boot the 'wrong' ones.

We can probably put something into anaconda to do removal of the
non-relevant kernel after the install.  It's going to be a little ugly,
but I don't see any way around it.

> > If we get that fixed, the livecd-creator side of things shouldn't be
> > that bad to do.  Mainly just making it so that we handle multiple
> > kernels (which kanarip has a patch for, just need to finish getting it
> > into a merge-ready state) and then a little of the 3264 logic out of
> > anaconda's scripts.
>
> Cool. I should be home this weekend, and in a position to screw with it
> on various 32-bit and 64-bit hardware (including PS3, although PS3 is a
> bit too memory-starved to be running swapless).

Any help and testing would be much appreciated; the goal being to have
ppc live images available for test2 even if there are a few rough edges
still

Jeremy