Newbie with Fedora Core 4 PPC on Power Mac G5.

Brian D. Carlstrom bdc at carlstrom.com
Sun Jan 29 12:44:10 EST 2006

Brian Durant writes:
 > On 29. jan 2006, at 1.35, Karanbir Singh wrote:
 > > Brian Durant wrote:
 > >> 1) So first, I need to get sudo working.
 > > why cant you just 'su -l' and move upto root ?
 > Sorry, this probably has something to do with me being a newbie. I
 > don't know what 'su -l' is or what you mean by "moving up to root".

his point is there is no reason to get sudo working if you do not want
to, since you can just use su to run as root. the -l option just gives
you a login shell for root (with roots shell configuration, not yours).
As far as "moving up to root", he just means moving from your user
account to the super user account, that is to a higher privilege level.

 > I ran 'system-config-sound' after having run 'yum check-update', 'yum
 > list updates' and 'yum update' + a reboot. I got an error message.
 > Sorry I can't be more specific.

like i said, I don't think YDL 4.0.1 supports any sound on the G5
machines although FC4 does and YDL 4.1 is supposed to.

-bri