Newbie with Fedora Core 4 PPC on Power Mac G5.

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Sun Jan 29 07:50:14 EST 2006

On 29. jan 2006, at 1.35, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Brian Durant wrote:
>
>> 1) So first, I need to get sudo working.
>
> why cant you just 'su -l' and move upto root ?

Sorry, this probably has something to do with me being a newbie. I
don't know what 'su -l' is or what you mean by "moving up to root".
You will see from my other posting that I got it to work by clearing
the cache: 'rm -fr /var/cache/yum/base':

>> 2) "yum check-update" returns something about some file missing
>> in /var/....
>
> yum list updates, thats what you want. There is no such command
> check-updates anymore.

Actually, there is. I ran both just to be on the safe die ;-)

>> 3) I need to do a total system update with yum. Is there one
>> command I can use???
>
> yum update

Yup. Worked like a charm. Thanks.

>> 4) kudzo prompting me at boot to remove and add drivers that
>> appear to be the same
>
> you can rerun kudzu with various options once the machine is
> running, look at the man page for more info

I have done that, but I don't really understand the man page. Newbie
alert!!! Actually, I think the kudzu problem could be directly
related to a usb (driver???) error message I get right at the start
of the boot process.

>> 5) no sound
>
> once your machine is updated, run system-config-sound, that will
> find and activate your sound card fine.

I ran 'system-config-sound' after having run 'yum check-update', 'yum
list updates' and 'yum update' + a reboot. I got an error message.
Sorry I can't be more specific.

Cheers,

Brian