Newbie with Fedora Core 4 PPC on Power Mac G5.

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Sun Jan 29 05:22:30 EST 2006

On 29. jan 2006, at 1.10, Brian D. Carlstrom wrote:

> Brian Durant writes:
>> When you say "root", you mean "su root", right???
> I mean running as uid=0.
> You can login as root, su to root, use sudo.
>
>> I still get the
>> message. The problem is that there is no file:
>>
>> /var/cache/yum/base/header.info should I just create a blank file???
> no, google says that is just a bad cache. two different threads i
> found
> say to just remove the whole  cache with 'rm -fr /var/cache/yum/base':
>     https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2004-March/004012.html
> however, I might use "yum clean cache" first.
>
> -bri

OK, no longer a problem with these issues. I had to run 'rm -fr /var/
cache/yum/base'. Many thanks. I am impressed that you could Google
this issue up as I often find it hard to actually sum up situations
that I end up in with a short, concise search phrase.

New problem after the 'yum update'. Now I have both a CD/DVD-ROM and
a CD-ROM icon on the desktop. The device I have came with my G5, so I
assume that it is some sort of SuperDrive. Here are the specs:

SONY DVD RW DW-U21A:

   Firmware Revision:	AADB
   Interconnect:	ATAPI
   Burn Support:	Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
   Cache:	2048 KB
   Reads DVD:	Yes
   CD-Write:	-R, -RW
   DVD-Write:	-R, -RW, +R, +RW
   Burn Underrun Protection CD:	Yes
   Burn Underrun Protection DVD:	Yes
   Write Strategies:	CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

Cheers,

Brian