Weird error in tla package

Josh Boyer jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org
Thu Feb 23 20:31:51 EST 2006

I'm getting a weird error when trying to build the tla package from
Extras on PPC.  I haven't done too much digging yet, but I thought I
would ask in case the symptoms ring a bell for some reason.

Basically, it fails with this:

================ unit-ar tests ================
/home/jwboyer/rpm/BUILD/tla-1.3.3/src/hackerlab/tests/arrays-tests/unit-ar.c:53:botched invariant
    0 == ((unsigned long)ar & (16 - 1))
PANIC: exiting on botched invariant

What is weird is where that '16' comes from.  It's coming from a #define
called MACHINE_ALIGNMENT which seems to be a computed value of some
kind.  On my x86 box, it's #defined to 4.  When building on PPC, it's
#defined to 16.

If the macro really does what it says it does, then I have to go figure
out why the test is failing.  And it doesn't help that this code makes
my head hurt.  But is the alignment on a PPC box really 16 bytes?

josh