Newbie USB thumb drive problem in FC5-PPC test 3.

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Thu Feb 23 17:26:34 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-24 at 00:20 +0100, Brian Durant wrote:
> Paul Nasrat wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 20:15 +0100, Brian Durant wrote:

> Hmmm. Now I don't seem to be getting a hal error anymore. 'sudo mount -t
> vfat /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usbdrive" got the USB drive mounted on the desktop.

That's circumventing the automount stuff.

> However, when I tried to save a copy of the errors when I tried to mount
> my hfs+ drive in gedit, I got the following message:
>
> "Could not save the file /mnt/usbdrive/mount_hfsplus.txt
>
> You do not have the permissions necessary to save the file. Please,
> check that you typed the location correctly and try again."

This is as you've mounted it as root, really this should be being
automounted and your user would be able to write- please file the bugs
against the relevant components.  Bugs on lists may not be seen by the
appropriate engineers.

Either that or it needs a fsck - check dmesg.

> I had to do a "sudo gedit" before I could save the text. Here is what I
> got from trying to mount my hfs+ sata hd #2:
>
> "$ sudo mkdir /mnt/osx
> $ sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/sdb3 /mnt/osx
> mount: block device /dev/sdb3 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: cannot mount block device /dev/sdb3 read-only"

> Any ideas?

Check dmesg, it may need a fsck.

Paul