Newbie with Power Mac G5.

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Sat Feb 4 15:37:51 EST 2006

On 4. feb 2006, at 16.26, Paul Nasrat wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 09:57 +0100, Brian Durant wrote:

>>> They're updated FC4 install images. They should work on anything
>>> other
>>> than the new dual-core Power Macs, I believe.
>>>
>>> --
>>> dwmw2
>>
>> OK, time to make a status report:
>>
>> 1) The install seemed to go without a hitch.
>> 2) I have 2 internal SATA drives and Fedora Core 4 Pegasos (PPC) is
>> installed on #1.
>> 3) First boot went fine in the beginning:
>> 	a) When it was time to include extra install CDs, the system could
>> not find a CD-ROM.
>
> This functionality isn't really supported in Fedora - so don't panic.
> What "extra" cd were you trying? Just use yum post install.

The CDs were #4 & #5 of the Fedora Core 4 Pegasos CDs.

>> 	b) Created user account and password.
>> 	c) At prompt screen for loging into the system, I got a blinking
>> cursor, but the mouse and keyboard were frozen.
>
> Do these work in runlevel 3?  Can you also yum update to current
> errata
> and see if that improves (just to give us a base to test from).

I ran the command "linux runlevel 3". I tried "yum update logged in
as a user, but it didn't work. Tried "sudo" but I am not listed in
the "sudo" file and I didn't have the instructions printed out. I had
to log in as root to run "yum update". There were 119 packages. At
the end, I got a message that was something like:

"Warning rpmtsHrFromFdno: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
4f2a6fd2
Public key for net-toosl...
Importing GPG key
Is this OK? y/N"

All of a sudden the keyboard no longer functioned and yum (??) kept
repeating something about that there had been no input and kept
repeating something and then again complained about no input. I ended
up have to do a hard shutdown as there was no keyboard response.

Then I restarted with "linux runlevel 3". In the middle of the boot
up it changed to graphic mode and at graphic log in, there again was
no keyboard response. After another hard shutdown, I rebooted and
issued "linux runlevel 3". again. This time I logged in as root again
and started a "yum update". Yum reported that 119 packages need to be
downloaded and did I want to do that. I said "no" and then I got the
same repeating message as above after "y/N" where there was the same
message, but no complaint about no input. The keyboard input again
froze up and that is where I am at this point.

Cheers,

Brian