Newbie with Power Mac G5.

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Sat Feb 4 11:12:43 EST 2006

On 4. feb 2006, at 16.26, Paul Nasrat wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 09:57 +0100, Brian Durant wrote:

>>> They're updated FC4 install images. They should work on anything
>>> other
>>> than the new dual-core Power Macs, I believe.
>>>
>>> --
>>> dwmw2
>>
>> OK, time to make a status report:
>>
>> 1) The install seemed to go without a hitch.
>> 2) I have 2 internal SATA drives and Fedora Core 4 Pegasos (PPC) is
>> installed on #1.
>> 3) First boot went fine in the beginning:
>> 	a) When it was time to include extra install CDs, the system could
>> not find a CD-ROM.
>
> This functionality isn't really supported in Fedora - so don't panic.
> What "extra" cd were you trying? Just use yum post install.
>
>> 	b) Created user account and password.
>> 	c) At prompt screen for loging into the system, I got a blinking
>> cursor, but the mouse and keyboard were frozen.
>
> Do these work in runlevel 3?  Can you also yum update to current
> errata
> and see if that improves (just to give us a base to test from).

Runlevel 3? You mean getting a terminal? Everything freezes as soon
as the graphical login appears. Not terminal, no nothing.

>> 		I had to do a hard shutdown as the keyboard was frozen.
>> 	d) I still seem to have fan and thermal control problems.
>
>> 4) Tried to boot into OS X at restart, but Fedora didn't setup
>> OpenFirmware properly and I couldn't boot into OS X. I had to restart
>> with the option key pressed down to call up the OF graphical
>> interface for choosing which drive to boot from.
>
> I'm pretty sure this is a yaboot ofpath bug - I've an open bug for
> that
> can you let me know your partition layout of both disks, and your
> yaboot.conf, and a tarball of /proc/device-tree.

I'll try, but to do this, I need to get logged in first. At this time
I can tell you that I used the default option for formatting SATA-1
(sda) where the Fedora Core 4 install resides.

> I'm hoping to get my hands on a setup with two drives shortly to fix
> this.  If you have time I can run a few script modifications past you.

Sounds like a good idea.

>> Where do I go from here? Do I give up on my FC4 install and try a
>> Rawhide install or do I try to fix the issues with Fedora Core 4?
>
> Stick with FC 4 for now, lets get any outstanding issues that probably
> still occur in FC 5 (the yaboot thing, etc) fixed.  Then we can see if
> the later kernel, etc fix things.  Then we can move to FC5 T3 when
> releaseed to make sure we've polished everything for that.

OK, sounds good. Thanks Paul.

Brian