Aw: Re: blspec - autoboot + timeout/default

Frank Wunderlich frank-w at public-files.de
Mon Feb 7 08:09:27 PST 2022

Hi

> Gesendet: Montag, 07. Februar 2022 um 09:59 Uhr
> Von: "Sascha Hauer" <sha at pengutronix.de>
> An: "Frank Wunderlich" <frank-w at public-files.de>
> Cc: barebox at lists.infradead.org
> Betreff: Re: blspec - autoboot + timeout/default
>
> On Sat, Feb 05, 2022 at 03:58:54PM +0100, Frank Wunderlich wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > can i boot directly to blspec-menu (boot -m sd.1) with setting in
> > default env and boot a specific entry (by title/filename) after some
> > time (e.g.3-5 sec)?
>
> There is a -t <secs> option to the boot command. It seems however that
> there is no possibility to select a specfic entry beforehand. The first
> one would be booted.

mhm, then i need a way to add it...is there anything similar in blspec
not implemented in barebox or is this a function that needs to be added to specification too?

> > i have defined some blspec files in /mnt/sd.1/loader/entries/ and i
> > want to show the menu by default and after some time the entry from
> > specific file should be booted. this gives user the possibility to
> > modify this conf to define his kernel for autoboot in headless mode.
> >
> > i tried to modify defaultenv/nv/boot.default, but this needs filenames
> > in /env/boot, no commands and if i use a script, it cannot start the
> > "boot -m sd.1" because the /env/boot scripts run bootm (tried loading
> > barebox with such script - ended with putting a separate script in
> > /env/bin/)
>
> It should work by setting:
>
> nv boot.default=myboot

i want to avoid user environment...it should be defined in builtin env, but afaik i can set the boot.default in this too...but currently i appended only my scripts...

i can use the script next as first entry if it is handled correctly

> With /env/boot/myboot:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> boot -m sd.1 -t 3
>

> > btw. is there a way to load environment from a txt file from a
> > specific partition (similar to uboots uEnv.txt)?
>
> The barebox environment is a directory tree rather than a list of
> variables, so there is no way to load a text file as environment.
> There is the loadenv command which takes the path to an environment
> image as argument. You can generate such an image on the host
> with the bareboxenv tool and then load it under barebox with loadenv.

binary import is not that userfriendly :) for me no problem. so there should be a way to define a blspec config as default...

regards Frank