[BUG] Stack buffer overflow WRITE of size 1 in nfs_start function

Neeraj Pal neerajpal09 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 11:06:21 PDT 2021

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 2:28 PM Sascha Hauer <sha at pengutronix.de> wrote:
> Ok, so my patch doesn't resolve the whole issue. I just tried the nfs
> command once after a long time now and this really seems to be broken
> in other ways as well. I tend to entirely remove the command instead
> of further trying to fix it. The normal way to handle nfs should be
> to use the NFS filesystem implementation anyway which would be
>
> mount -t nfs $server:/path/to/share /foo
>
> I don't think we have the manpower to maintain two NFS implementations,
> so we shouldn't try to.

Ok, so, it resolves the issue in some way but I think not completely
as it seems that after modifying the strdup return value condition, it
later again got crashed, and, it definitely makes sense and I
completely agree with that as we already have one working
implementation of NFS available so no need to maintain or add the
additional code which provides the similar functionality. So, I also
think that it would be better if we remove any unnecessary code so
that will reduce future issues.

Thanks and regards,
Neeraj