Using bootspec with RAUC and redundant partitions

robin robin at protonic.nl
Wed Sep 30 05:19:33 EDT 2020

Hi Enrico, Sascha,

On 2020-09-30 10:09, Enrico Jörns wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 30.09.2020, 09:39 +0200 schrieb Sascha Hauer:
>> > Is there a door number 3 or am I missing something here?
>>
>> What's the reason for additional kernel partitions? Things would be
>> easier if you put the kernel images into the rootfs partitions along
>> with the bootspec entries.
>
> the road to success here is to not encode any slot-/partition-specific
> information in the bootspec entries.

I see.

> Why this would work anyway is because barebox extends the kernel
> commandline with the root= entries required to boot the kernel from
> that specific partition where it did read the entry from.
>
> This way it should work having an A+B setup with only two rootfs
> partitions that include the kernel, the (generic) bootspec entry and
> the rootfs itself (as Sascha already pointed out).

We've decided to separate the kernel from the OS a long time ago
because,
back then, we wanted to keep the bootloader simple, minimal and solid
and
including ext4 support didn't quite fit into that picture. Also, our
customer used to create their own rootfs, and we'd build them a kernel
and back then we didn't bundle releases (like rauc does now).

Since things changed in the meantime I'll re-open that discussion
and go from there. Thanks for pointing me in this direction.

Best regards,
Robin van der Gracht