Using bootspec with RAUC and redundant partitions

Enrico Jörns ejo at pengutronix.de
Wed Sep 30 04:09:41 EDT 2020

Hi Robin,

Am Mittwoch, den 30.09.2020, 09:39 +0200 schrieb Sascha Hauer:
> > Is there a door number 3 or am I missing something here?
>
> What's the reason for additional kernel partitions? Things would be
> easier if you put the kernel images into the rootfs partitions along
> with the bootspec entries.

the road to success here is to not encode any slot-/partition-specific
information in the bootspec entries.

Why this would work anyway is because barebox extends the kernel
commandline with the root= entries required to boot the kernel from
that specific partition where it did read the entry from.

This way it should work having an A+B setup with only two rootfs
partitions that include the kernel, the (generic) bootspec entry and
the rootfs itself (as Sascha already pointed out).

Best regards, Enrico

--
Pengutronix e.K.                           | Enrico Jörns                |
Embedded Linux Consulting & Support        | https://www.pengutronix.de/ |