barebox PBL question

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Mon Feb 13 23:27:04 PST 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 08:53:19PM +0000, Trent Piepho wrote:
> [...]

Indeed. And this is the main downside of this approach.

> > You should use PBL_MULTI_IMAGES instead. In fact, the existing Rockchip
> > port already does this.
>
> Is there any advantage to the single image pbl system?  It seems like multi image
> with one image achieves the same result.

The advantage is that the same config and only one build step is used
to build images for multiple boards/projects. This greatly increases the
chance that the existing configs are actually tested. Also it makes it
easy to test the same software on different boards. Another thing is
that I can currently built test every commit in every defconfig,
something I couldn't do if every board had its own defconfig, possibly
in a xload and a regular variant. Defconfig files also have the tendency
to bitrot very fast. Most defconfigs are committed once and never
touched again which means you never get the new features and whenever
you change the board you possibly find a defconfig that needs many
adjustments before you feel home.