Designware MAC reset timeout after Linux reboot

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Tue Nov 8 00:08:56 PST 2016

Hi Ian,

On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 05:56:51PM +0000, Ian Abbott wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm using barebox 2016.10.0 with some custom BSP patches for my Cyclone V
> socfpga based board.  I've noticed that after issuing a reboot in Linux,
> followed by an 'ifup eth0' command in barebox, I get a "eth0: MAC reset
> timeout" error, which causes dwc_ether_init() to bail out early. My Linux
> kernel is Linux 4.1.17, plus LTSI-4.1.17 patches, plus Altera patches from
> linux-socfpga kernel branch socfpga-4.1.22-ltsi, in that order (git rebase
> is a wonderful thing!).
>
> Socfpga has two Ethernet MAC controllers.  Like several other Cyclone V
> boards, my board's device tree disables the first one (&gmac0) and aliases
> ethernet0 to the second one (&gmac1).
>
> I don't need the ethernet to work to boot Linux, and Linux manages to
> reinitialize the ethernet okay, so it's more of a inconvenience to me than a
> show-stopper - I just need to power-cycle the board if I want ethernet
> access in barebox.

Have you searched in the Linux code what it does differently so that it
can successfully reset the MAC?

> I am aware of Trent Piepho's patch (commit
> f0ae0c33f52ced89da080673ca89a3c5f2ea70e6) which brings the PHY out of
> power-down mode before resetting the MAC DMA controller.  In fact, the PHY
> doesn't seem to be in power-down mode in my case, as the value read from the
> MII_BMCR in phy_resume() is 0x1140 (BMCR_ANENABLE | BMCR_FULLDPLX |
> BMCR_SPEED1000).
>
> There must be something else stopping the software reset of the MAC
> completing successfully, but I'm not sure what.  The Cyclone V Hard
> Processor System Technical Reference Manual says this about the MAC DMA
> software reset bit:
>
> | Note: * The Software reset system is driven only by this bit. *
> | The reset operation is completed only when all resets in all
> | active clock domains are de-asserted. Therefore, it is
> | essential that all the PHY inputs clocks (applicable for the
> | selected PHY interface) are present for the software reset
> | completion.
>
> Perhaps the timeout isn't waiting long enough.  If I interrupt the 'ifup
> eth0' command and display the approriate 'Bus_Mode' register (0xff703000)
> with the 'md' command, the DMAMAC_SRST bit (bit 0) is no longer set:
>
> barebox at xxxx:/ md -l 0xff703000+4
> ff703000: 00020100

The timeout is 10ms, this should be way enough. The return value of
dwc_ether_init() is not checked, so the driver happily continues with
further register writes, I assume there must be something that clears
this bit afterwards, either directly or indirectly.