Patch "syscon: Decrease driver registration priority" breaks clps711x target

Andrey Smirnov andrew.smirnov at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 08:52:37 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 6:04 AM, Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 10:37:11AM +0300, Alexander Shiyan wrote:
>> Hello All.
>>
>> Patch "syscon: Decrease driver registration priority" breaks clps711x target.
>> Previously, the syscon device initialized at "core_initcall", that did not cause problems.
>> Now the device is initialized at "device_initcall" level, but clps711x uses syscon for
>> the serial, so serial device initialized at "console_initcall" level.
>> Any ideas?
>
> We could move syscon back to core_initcall level and in the syscon
> driver use dev_get_resource() instead of request_iomem_region().

Right now the driver uses both, so if we just drop the call to
request_iomem_region that was problematic for me on i.MX6, that should
resolve the issue. I think this would also bring the behavior of
syscon driver closer to what it does in Linux kernel land. The only
negative effect of that change I think would be that on the platforms
where syscon driver controls that region of memory, it no longer would
be reported as such by "iomem".

Apologies for breaking your use-case, Alexander.

Andrey