[RFC 3/4] FIT: add FIT image support

Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD plagnioj at jcrosoft.com
Fri Mar 13 03:05:38 PDT 2015

On 10:28 Fri 13 Mar     , Jan Lübbe wrote:
> On Do, 2015-03-12 at 19:19 +0100, Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD wrote:
> > please do not send a new version except for fix
> >
> > I'm going to re-integrate it with the keystore & co
>
> Could you describe your keystore design?

I'll send the patch series soon

code is better than 1000s of words

with DER support and the fit

> > and sha1,rsa2048 is considered weak in term of security
> > and worse md4/md5
> >
> > for barebox I would only use
> > at least sha256 with rs2048 or sha512 with rsa4096
>
> Yes, of course. These were only used as an example and it's trivial to
> switch to other hash algos or RSA key sizes. Also, the FIT format can
> easily be extended to support ECC/Curve25519.

very slow vs rsa, but as we will use a generic framework we will just need to
add the algo

if you can break rsa4096, the chance you can break ECC are high too

> In some cases, where the SoC's ROM code only supports RSA2048 with SHA1,
> using stronger settings in Barebox doesn't increase security. So there
> we want to use the same settings as the ROM code.

agreed but I refuse to allow it unless we have no choice
and emit a warning

and even I'll prefer to use stonger, yes this will increase the security.
As a secure boot is as strong as it's weak link

but this will not reduce it either

Best Regards,
J.