Porting barebox (devicetree) to Variscite iMX6 SOM

Michael Burkey mdburkey at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 13:35:15 EST 2014

Sascha, thanks for the advice on the stack unwinding and other
debugging aids. It was a huge help.

I have made progress and isolated and gotten past my earlier null
pointer problem -- it turned out to be an issue that you had already
fixed on the tip (the recent changes to armlinux_get_bootparams fixed
the null pointer issue).

That said, I'm still having issues booting with an older kernel. Which
brings me to my next question....

In the case where I am booting an old, non-devicetree, kernel with a
newer, devicetree, version of barebox, and then using "oftree -f" to
flush the devicetree before starting the kernel, what is the proper
way to have things like the boot parameters, the boot architecture,
etc. specified for passing to the older kernel? Just go back and add
them into the board files like they used to be in older versions of
barebox? Do you know if having stuff specified in both the old way and
in the oftree will cause any potential problems?

Basically, my goal is to have a version of barebox than can launch
either our current (old) kernel or a newer mainline version
interchangeably without having to upgrade barebox (basically, we will
probably initially be shipping an older kernel and then upgrading to a
newer one later -- and, if at all possible, I'd really rather not have
to incur the risk of having our users need to update barebox in the
field as well).

Thanks,
Michael Burkey