Lowlevel questions

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Tue Nov 19 04:51:10 EST 2013

On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:25:27AM +0100, Mathieu Anquetin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently trying to port Barebox to a new ARM-based machine and I
> am facing some questions concerning low level initialization (before
> relocation to RAM). Reading the header files, I came across 3 functions
> that may be of interest during startup but I can't find an example of
> them being called, they are :
>     - board_init
>     - dram_init
>     - board_init_lowlevel

Ok, let's take this opportunity to write it up:

Generally we have two different startup mechanisms. The first, simpler
version is without pbl image. Here the very first instruction executed
is the function in the text_entry section:

./arch/arm/cpu/start.c:125:void __naked __section(.text_entry) start(void)

This calls barebox_arm_head() which is a static inline assembly
function. This function builds an ARM reset vector table. It also
switches the CPU to Thumb2 mode if necessary. The next step is to jump
to barebox_arm_reset_vector:

./arch/arm/include/asm/barebox-arm-head.h:58:           "b barebox_arm_reset_vector\n"

barebox_arm_reset_vector is a board specific function you have to
implement. Depending on your SoC and bootmode this function will run
from internal SRAM, SDRAM or maybe NOR flash. Your job here is to
initialize your SDRAM, see for example
./arch/arm/boards/eukrea_cpuimx35/lowlevel.c. At the end of this
function jump to:

void __noreturn barebox_arm_entry(uint32_t membase, uint32_t memsize, uint32_t boarddata);

Pass this function the start of your SDRAM and the size. The third value
is a value that will be preserved and can be retrieved later from board
code. barebox_arm_entry is the common entry point for all ARM boards,
This function will move the barebox binary to it's final address, clear
the bss segment and jump to start_barebox() which is the common
architecture independent entry point.

/* ------------------------------------- */

The above is the 'traditional' way. Next we have PBL
(CONFIG_PBL_IMAGE=y) which was introduced for compressed images. Here
two binaries are created, one 'real' image which gets compressed and one
uncompressor image (the PBL).  For board code it makes no difference.
Boards still implement barebox_arm_reset_vector to setup their SDRAM and
in the end jump to barebox_arm_entry(). The difference is that both the
board code and barebox_arm_entry() end up in the decompressor image. The
'real' image does not contain any lowlevel code, instead it starts at:

./arch/arm/cpu/start.c:160:void __naked __section(.text_entry) start(uint32_t membase, uint32_t memsize, uint32_t boarddata)

/* ------------------------------------- */

Finally we have multiimage support (CONFIG_PBL_MULTI_IMAGES=y) which is
a variant of the PBL. With multiimage support we have three binaries
involved: Again one 'real' binary, one decompressor, and one out of
multiple Board specific binaries. The board specific binary is for a
single board only and starts with ENTRY_FUNCTION(). This function will
be the very first code executed. It's job is again to setup SDRAM and
jump to barebox_arm_entry(). With multiimage support barebox_arm_entry
will simply jump past the current image which will be where the
decompressor code is.

So whatever you do you have to implement barebox_arm_reset_vector() or
define an ENTRY_FUNCTION(). Both functions should assume that they are
executed at another place they are linked at. This means that you can't
use global variables. Newer gcc versions also seem to make
problems with switch/case.

This is no direct answer to your question, but I hope it contains the
answers you were looking for ;) If not feel free to ask.