Installing barebox for karo-tx53 in nand-flash

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Fri May 10 06:53:50 EDT 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 09:20:50AM +0000, Dr. Patrick Langfeld wrote:
> Thanks Sascha,
> building barebox results in two .bin files: barebox.bin and
> zbarebox.bin.
> Is zbarebox.bin a compressed version of barebox.bin?
> Which one should I use for flashing the tx53 nand-flash?

If it exists then zbarebox.bin please. There is a convenience link
(barebox-flash-image) which always points to the correct binary.

> My boot sources are nand-flash (thats where u-boot is at the moment)
> (and SD-card for testing).
>
> I tried to flash zbarebox.bin to nand-flash. It started but with error
> nand: NAND type unknown, ec,f1
> nand: No NAND device found (-19)!

Hm, strange. This should be a Samsung 128MiB NAND flash. The id is in
the database. I currently have no good idea why this isa unknown.

> imx_nand imx_nand0: probe failed: No such device or address
> malloc space: 0x85f00000 -> 0x87efffff (size 32 MiB)
> Using environment in NAND
> Open /dev/env0 No such file or directory
> ..

For testing I would recommend the SD card. You can simply write the
binary to the card:

cat barebox-flash-image > /dev/sdx

> Does barebox already support the FirmwareConfigurationBlock? I heard
> from Mathias Fend that he manually had to add a FCB blob before the
> barebox binary when writing barebox to flash in an older barebox
> version.

The FCB is not part of the image. However, when you start from SD card
you should be able to use barebox_update to flash to the nand, given
that it works of course...