[help] PHY driver : Unable to find a PHY (unknown ID?)

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Fri Jan 4 06:23:03 EST 2013

Dear Mylene Josserand,

On Fri, 4 Jan 2013 12:03:17 +0100, Mylene Josserand wrote:

> > Good to see some developers from Toulouse using Barebox! I'm close, in
> > Colomiers.
>
> Yes ! We are neighbour :)

Indeed :)

> Free Electrons, I know you by name. And the kernel sources on your web
> site help me a lot !

Good to know this is useful.

> > Which board are you targeting?
>
> It is a "home-made" board with a iMX27.

Ok.

> Hum, I did not configured it myself. I used a previous configuration of
> the board which was :
> "
> static struct fec_platform_data fec_info = {
> 	.xcv_type = MII100,
> 	.phy_addr = 1,
> };"
>
> How can I know which address I need to put ?

Look at chapter "4.11 PHY Address strapping and LED Output Polarity
Selection" of the LAN8700 manual. It says the PHY address is selected
according to the value on pins PHYAD[0:4] during PHY reset. So you
should check your board schematics and see how these pins are wired to
find out what is the PHY address.

Best regards,

Thomas
--