NAND defect Block handling

Jürgen Kilb J.Kilb at phytec.de
Fri May 25 15:35:54 EDT 2012

Hi,
I discovered a problem which I thought would be handled in a different way..
During "tftp 250Mbyte_Testimage.bin /dev/nand0.rootfs.bb" an I/O error occurred
and tftp stopped downloading/writing the file to the nand0.rootfs.bb partition.

===
...###################################write: I/O error

tftp failed: error -5
===

As far as I debugged the problem, a block erase error occurred. I thought the
normal behavior should be, mark the defect block as bad and continue with
the next block.

What is the best way to handle such problems?

- implement such a behavior if the destination is a *.bb device
- add a nand_write command
- add a global option to mark a bad nand block

greetings,
Jürgen