RFC: Force a 2s delay on startup to allow bypassing /dev/env0.

Marc Reilly marc at cpdesign.com.au
Sun May 6 20:14:24 EDT 2012

On Monday, May 07, 2012 03:50:14 AM Krzysztof Halasa wrote:
> Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de> writes:
> > Being able to interrupt before environment processing is a good thing to
> > have, the delay though is not acceptable because it would increase the
> > boot time on some systems by 400%. It should work without the delay
> > aswell.

I agree, adding 2 seconds to boot time wouldn't be very well received.

Our board has several gpio buttons which are checked for a specific press
configuration at startup, eg, when buttons 1,3 and 4 only are held down, the
auto boot is delayed.
This is obviously dependent on board hardware, but does make any delay
optional.

This is in our init script itself, but could just as easily be coded to check
before the init script is run. You could set it up as a board installed
callback...

Cheers,
Marc